Monday, January 21, 2008

Adventures in Real Estate!

Talk with a group of Realtors, and they most likely all have some amusing anecdote about their work with Buyers, Sellers, Open Houses, etc. Yesterday I had my most "interesting" event to report so far in my 4 year career.

Naked people, squatters, fierce dogs. Nope, none of the standards. I held an house open yesterday. Since it was a cold, winter day it seemed a perfect time to light the fire in the beautiful fireplace. Great idea--the homeowners and agents all agreed. Enter Laura--Hmmmm, gas logs, neat little turn key on the side, lighter, flue open. Seems I'm good to go. Nearly go up in flames, that is!

Anybody know how open the gas line needs to be to get one of these babies going? I do now--turn the gas on a couple of turns, try to ignite the lighter (and waste a second or two with the safety latch,) hold to the decorative coals. Whomp--smell burned hair. Think it is the fibers from my bulky, handknit sweater (I made it myself 15 years ago, and get to break it out once a year in Atlanta.) Turn down the gas as it seems I probably don't need that much. Check for any sparks in the room or on me. Go to the mirror to check my makeup. Discover that I've burned my bangs, my eyebrows, my eyelashes. Spend the next 10 minutes before the open house starts breaking off the burned parts so I don't look like a freak.

Oh, yeah. And open the doors to the cold outdoors to try to disperse the odor of burning hair before the guests show up. Which brings us back to the lovely fireplace which did an excellent job warming the place back up! And being thankful that this will all be but a memory in a month or so when things grow back!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Oh no!!! I'm sorry, I had to laugh a little. Reminds me when Paul singed his arm hair trying to light a fire in our Norcross house. Ha.