Thursday, January 3, 2008

This cold weather!

Today I went to volunteer at a children's clothing ministry. Usually we provide clothing for 10-25 children everyday the charity shop is open. Today we had NO children. The best we could figure is that with the weather so cold, the parents and children had to stay home rather than risk being under-dressed for the conditions.

There are several things here that I take for granted: having a warm coat, scarf, hat, gloves, shoes available when I need them; having a car in my garage to carry me where I need to go. I don't have to utilize buses and trains to get around on a daily basis. I don't have to stand at a bus stop in the wind waiting for the next bus to show up, or wait in a cold subway station for the next train.

So while I bundled up and headed out to volunteer, I could smile and complain about the bitter chill and wind. But I was warm, I had a warm commute, and I have a warm home to come back to. A lot to remember to be thankful for.

No comments: